FileSync

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM
This thread can be used to discuss various issues with FileSync Event Handler...
Feb 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Hi,
I tried to open the solution but it seems you used vs 2008 and my vs 2005 can't open it.

First of all: is it possible to develop an event handler with .net 3.5 and add it to the rfid manager?
I thought that was impossible since biztalk rfid was made using .net 2.0.
Is it possible to develope a DSPI using VS 2008 & .Net 3.5 as well?

Thanks,
Shaul
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Hi Shaul, Sorry about using 2008. That is the version I have on my machine so I just used it.

I have used 2008 to create event handlers and use them with Biztalk and it works fine. I don't think there should be any problems. BizTalk will still use 2.0 libraries as it was built with 2.0.

VS 2008 can be used to build applications using .NEt 2.0 also. I know there is some issue with 3.5 and Biztalk but I think building DSPI with VS 2008 should not be a problem.

Let me know if you face any specific issue.

regards
Sudhir
Feb 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Hello Shaul,

Biztalk RFID uses .NET 3.0 so it will not even install if you dont have .NET 3.0.

BizTalk RFID had a issue with .NET 3.5 Beta1 due to a bug in .NET 3.0 Service Pack that is shipped with .NET 3.5 due to which Rfid Service was unable to start. But there is no issue with the Released version of .NET 3.5

If have .NET 3.5 installed, any EH/Provider written for it will work just fine. If you are facing any specific problem, please report and we can take a look.

As for solution file, I will upload VS2k5 csproj and sln files for this EH.

-Arpit Nand

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Thank you both :)
I've been reading some of the documentation regarding Event Handlers.
I understand that one EH function's output type is another function's input, this way you can pass a tag read to a line of functions, depending on processing results.

Lets say I want to add this file EH a process which already has an EH which I've created.
Can I register multiple event handlers to a single process, even though their functions have the same input type "TagRead"?
Are they executed in-line in a single thread or in separate threads?

Shaul
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:33 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Hey Shaul,

Can I register multiple event handlers to a single process, even though their functions have the same input type "TagRead"?

Yes this is exactly the kind of scenario that RFID Process enables. Think of a RFID Process as a sequential pipeline of EventHandlers. The only thing to keep in mind is that output of one EH is one of the inputs for another EH. (The Validate Process with check this statically).
So, suppose if you have one EH(say EH1) whose output is TagListEvent and the input of this EH(say EH2) is TagReadEvent then EH2 cant be placed after EH1. But if output of EH1 was TagReadEvent then placing EH2 after EH1 was OK.
Also, say EH2 input was RfidEventBase (the base class of both TagReadEvent and TagListEvent) then placing EH2 after EH1 was possible.

Are they executed in-line in a single thread or in separate threads?

BizTalk RFID garentees that they are called sequentially with output of 1st EH acting as input for 2nd EH and so on but does no garentee that they are invoked on the same thread. Also your EH code could be called from multiple differnent threads, thus it is important that EH are thread-safe.

Hope I answered your questions.
-Arpit Nand
P.S. To get your questions answered by BizTalk RFID experts head to http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1474&SiteID=1